Is it just me, or has cold and flu season been particularly nasty this year? My household seems to be sick on rotation, with everything from the snivels to full blown flu. Fed up with all the germs flying around, I’ve been loading our diets with immune boosting foods and finally, we can see the light at the end of the (sickness) tunnel! Lately I’ve been bleaching the living sin out of every surface in my home, so I haven’t had much time to develop and photograph recipes.
So, in lieu of a recipe this week I’ve rounded up 10 Immune Boosting Foods to Prevent Illness!
1. Red Bell Peppers – they have twice as much Vitamin C by weight as citrus fruits, who knew!
2. Broccoli – with the most nutrients of any single vegetable, broccoli is a health booster you can bet on.
3. Garlic – this somewhat smelly seasoning has been used for centuries to fight infection.
4. Lemon – a natural antibacterial agent, lemon water can be consumed hot or cold to help fight infection.
5. Turmeric – one of the ultimate healing foods, turmeric is also a preventative ingredient that boosts immunity and overall health.
6. Ginger – a traditional food for the ill, ginger can actually help prevent sickness in the first place
7. Spinach – good for you any time, spinach and all its antioxidants are particularly helpful when it comes to supporting a strong immune system.
8. Almonds – Vitamin E is a fat-soluble vitamin that is essential to a healthy immune system. Nuts like almonds are packed with it, so a handful of almonds may be what keeps the doctor away!
9. Green Tea – In addition to a load of antioxidants, Green Tea contains a compound called L-theanine, which is thought to help your body fight germs.
10. Kombucha, Kefir, Yogurt or Sauerkraut – probiotics foods contain live cultures that are considered stimulating to the body’s immune system.
What are your favourite immune boosting foods? Let us know in the comments!